Sunday, January 16, 2011

Instant Oatmeal


Yes, it looks like mush, but I'm kind of excited about this little recipe. All the ingredients are optional, and they can all be adjusted by preference, but here's what I did.

4 cups oatmeal
3 tablespoons powder coffee creamer
1/4 cup oatmeal that's been ground in the food processor (makes it nice and thick)
1 cup dried apples, chopped up (I'd add more if I had more)
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup almonds and pecans
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons brown sugar

Toast the nuts on a skillet in melted butter, add brown sugar until everything's toasted and coated. Let cool for a minute, then throw everything together in a bowl or ziplock bag and mix it up. Put some in a bowl, add hot water and/or milk and eat!

If my dried peaches hadn't gone bad, I'd do a 'peaches and cream' oatmeal. Also, I'll do dried cranberries in my next batch. I'm looking for ideas of what to add to this, what other grains would go well?

No comments: